Group Admins

IDEA9102

Public Group active 6 years, 5 months ago

Join this group to post questions in the forums.

Phase 2: Ideation Q&A (10 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image Mela said 6 years, 7 months ago:

Phase 2: Ideation Q&A

Hi Martin! Sorry I went ahead and created this topic.

Can we use whatever tools we wanted to created the storyboard? I remember Rob saying in class that animations would take too much time & effort for storyboards. But would it be OK if I used something like http://goanimate.com/ ? (I’ve used it before and it’s a really quick way to create animations and was thinking of using it in my storyboard.)

• Avatar Image Martin Tomitsch said 6 years, 7 months ago:

Hi Mela, if you want to use an animation, you can develop this in addition to your storyboard. (In order to create an animation you would need to create a storyboard first anyway, no?) Again this can be rough hand sketches. The reason we insist on the storyboards is not that animations would take too much time and effort, but that creating storyboards allows you to approach the design problem differently compared to going straight into working with an animation tool.

PS: Thx for starting this forum topic! :)

Like we mentioned in class, you can also use online tools (eg http://stripgenerator.com/) or create photo storyboards. In either case, it’s always a good idea to start with hand sketches before to work out the details of your interaction scenario.

Keep things you covered in HCI in mind and how they could be applied, while going through this process, eg you can also create personas based on your user research, and then use these personas in your storyboards.

Hi Martin! Actually I wasn’t going to make an animation per se, I was just using the tool to be able to mock up the scenarios. They have a lot of predefined scenario images (ex. a bedroom, a city, etc.) and clip art you can add on.

BTW, with regards to the storyboard — is it about how we envision the user to experience our installation art? (Ex. start off with an average office worker walking around Wynyard and *boom* he comes across the installation) Or do we focus on the actual interaction with the installation art and not include the backstory on how they would come across the installation in the first place?

I see that should be fine then. Regarding your other question: To some extent this depends on your interaction scenario and which role the way how your characters come across the screen plays. Generally I would suggest to include that background story since it may help to introduce your character.

• Avatar Image Jonathan McEwan said 6 years, 7 months ago:

Hi Martin,

There are 5 of us who don’t take HCI, and I see that as a massive disadvantage for this design process.

I know that ideation is simple concept wise, however, I’m not clear on what the expectations and outcomes are. The reading material provided only goes so far, and the practical application is not evident.

For example, with the grounding exercise it was not apparent that you were expecting the research papers to compliment the user research. The assignment brief didn’t actually specify the need to even include these papers, or key points in the blog post.

Are you able to elaborate, with regards to the ideation process, on any assumed knowledge or expectations you have? (sorry to those who have already learnt these concepts in detail in HCI)

Hi Jon,

HCI to some extent complements the studio, but doesn’t cover everything either. For example what you mention would not have been covered in HCI either, so in that regard anyone taking HCI didn’t have any advantage. It’s also not required to include any papers in the blog post, otherwise we would have specified this in the blog post. But creating links between the paper and user research demonstrates a good understanding of the material beyond tasks specified in the assignment brief.

I think there might be rather a general misunderstanding regarding the role of the design brief and expectations than a disadvantage coming from not taking HCI, and I am more than happy to discuss this further in class on Thursday.

Regarding the next task, the storyboards, there shouldn’t be any disadvantage for anyone not doing HCI as this method is very simple and the idea will count more than the quality of the storyboards. In terms of expectations, what we want to see in this phase is that your ideas are informed by your background research. It might be therefore good to demonstrate links to your grounding phase in both your blog post as well as the presentation.

I hope this clarifies some of your questions, please let me know if not.

• Avatar Image Inez Ang said 6 years, 7 months ago:

Hi Jon, Martin mentioned the use of scenarios last week when I spoke to him last week. So you can use this as a way to flush out your storyboards, eg. Man walks by – xxx happens on the screen, moves closer – xxx happens… Hope it helps.

• Avatar Image Jonathan McEwan said 6 years, 7 months ago:

Excellent, thank you for clearing that up Martin :)